Who is Eligible for Head Start?
There are two primary criteria to Head Start / Early Head Start eligibility:
- Pregnancy or child’s age
- Family status (income or other specified factors).
Pregnancy or Child’s Age
- Pregnant women are potentially eligible for Early Head Start.
- Infants and toddlers and their families are potentially eligible for Early Head.
- Pre-school children (age’s three to five) and their families are potentially eligible for Head Start.
Pregnant women, children ages birth to five, and their families, are eligible for Head Start / Early Head Start in Vermont if any one of the following criteria is met:
- The family income is within 100% of federal poverty guidelines (a limited number of families up to 130% of federal poverty guidelines can be served); OR
- The family receives any of the following public assistance benefits: Reach Up (RUFA), Childcare Subsidy, Family Support Subsidy, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI); OR
- The child or young pregnant women is in foster care.
Please check with your local program.